Career development opportunities for your student in the new virtual world
A full house of employers is expected for the 2020 Fall Career Fair on October 8 & 9 from 11 a.m.–3 p.m. While the market has been somewhat uncertain due to the pandemic, there are plenty of employers still looking to hire Mason students and alumni. A range of national, regional and local employers are expected, including:
- Amazon, General Dynamics, Inova, Dominion Energy, Politico and other major employers from around the Northern Virginia area.
- Many federal and local government agencies are also registered including the FDIC, FAA, Patent & Trademark Office and several branches of local county governments.
- Nonprofits include the Cato Institute, the Institute of World Politics, City Year and Teach for America and more.
All Mason students and alumni are welcome to register and attend the career fair. Attendees will have the opportunity to interact with employers in real-time to discuss internships and job openings.
The new virtual career fair – how it works and what’s different
We will be using a virtual fair platform that allows students to visit e-booths of employers in both camera, audio, and text formats.
- NEW: Registration is mandatory – Visit JobsConnected register by midnight, Tuesday, Oct. 6.
- Encourage your student to attend a preparation event before the Career Fair to practice speaking with employers and to have their resume reviewed. Events can be found on the Career Services Events Calendar.
- Suggest that your student attend the Career Fair professionally dressed to make a strong first impression. We have a Pinterest Work Wear board that they can use for ideas of what to wear.
- Your student can research employers attending the virtual fair. They can use their Handshake account to review the employers attending and the positions that are open.
- NEW: Your student can submit a resume via an employer’s Resume Dropbox. At the virtual career fair, your student will be able to upload their resume as an attachment to the employer’s Dropbox.
- NEW: Recommend that your student check their technology in advance. Since your student will be meeting with employers in real-time, it will be important that they check their webcam and microphone in advance.
- NEW: Encourage your student to visit our Prepare for the Fair page for more information about how to make the most out of the Virtual Fall Career Fair!
This year’s Suit-Up Mason Event in partnership with JC Penney is online! Mason students and alumni are invited to shop mega discounts on career wear, including shoes and accessories. Combine this coupon with other in-store offers for up to 60% off most items.
How to shop:
• Step 1: Text GMU to 67292 to get your Extra 30% off discount code (discount code expires Saturday, Oct. 31, 2020)
• Step 2: Visit jcpenney.com/m/suit-up to find discounted items
Career Fairs Manager
University Career Services
*To receive more articles like this straight to your inbox, sign up for the Mason Family Association at masonfamily.gmu.edu/mason-family-association.