Graduation is one of the biggest days celebrated for our entire Mason community as we celebrate what our students have gained. Their diploma signifies their hard work, acquired skills, and valued relationships during their time at Mason. While they are turning a momentous corner, leaving behind this cherished place, and feeling a spectrum of emotions, we want them to know that they are Patriots for life. And as their parent, family member, or supporter, you are a part of the Mason Family for life.
You have taken this journey with your student and will leave a piece of your heart here as well as you reflect on your own experiences and realize that this unique period of life can never be fully recreated for you or your student. Thank you for staying connected to your student’s experience, supporting them through the good and the bad, and helping them reach this important milestone. This celebration is as much for them as it is for you.
George Mason is celebrating all spring, summer, and winter 2020 graduates on Thursday, December 17 by holding a virtual Commencement. The Commencement will be broadcasted on GMU-TV. This event is different from the Celebration of Graduates that was held in the spring. Commencement will be a full graduation ceremony with an agenda that includes:
- Mason Memories
- National Anthem, performed by Santiago Alfonzo Meza
- Welcome Remarks, by President Dr. Gregory Washington
- Commencement Speaker, Delegate in the Virginia House of Delegates and Mason Alumni, the Honorable Charniele L. Herring
- Student Performance
- Presentation of Degree Candidates, by Provost and Executive Vice President Dr. Mark Ginsberg
- Conferral of Degrees, by President Dr. Gregory Washington
- Alumni Toast, by Alumni Association President and Mason Alumni, Sumeet Shrivatava
- Alma Mater
Due to COVID-19, the University Bookstore will not hold a Graduation Fair. However, graduation regalia is available for ordering through the Bookstore website. Caps and gowns will be delivered to your student’s residence.
College rings can be bought through the Herff Jones and Balfour websites. Additionally, Herff Jones is also selling graduation announcements. You can order these online with an approximate two-week delivery.
All 2020 graduates can receive a copy of the Commencement program. While the deadline to have one mailed has passed, they are available for pick-up at the following times and locations:
- Fairfax Campus (two locations): Johnson Center Information Desk, Monday to Thursday, 10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Friday, 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.; and SUB I Information Desk, Monday to Thursday, 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and Friday, 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Arlington Campus: Van Metre Information Desk, Monday to Thursday, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Friday, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- SciTech Campus: Katherine Johnson Hall’s The Source, Monday to Thursday, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Friday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Your student will need their Mason ID to receive a copy. If they cannot make it to one of these locations, copies will be available for pick-up during the spring semester. There will also be a digital copy available for download on the Graduation website in mid-December.
For more information on costs and other Mason graduation products available for purchasing, visit the George Mason University Graduation 2020 webpage.
Congratulations to all our Mason parents, families, and supporters who have 2020 Mason graduates!
New Student and Family Programs
*To receive more articles like this straight to your inbox, sign up for the Mason Family Association at masonfamily.gmu.edu/mason-family-association.