The 2020 election cycle is unlike any we have experienced in modern history, and the stakes could not be higher. Our nation is on edge and feels more ideologically divided than ever before. A global pandemic has claimed over 200K lives and counting. Protesters are in the streets demanding justice. Millions have filed for unemployment in just the past few months. And on, and on…
As Mason’s new president Dr. Gregory Washington said in a recent letter focused on taking action in difficult times, “the closer we get to November 3rd, the more I realize that this is the most consequential election of our time.”
Americans face a crucial decision this November, and Mason Votes is here to help our community get informed, mobilize, and #VOTE!
Created in 2008 as a non-partisan election initiative designed to promote student engagement in the political process, Mason Votes includes a committee that sponsors programs focused on civic action and voter awareness, as well as a public-facing online platform for sharing news and student voices.
MasonVotes.gmu.edu is a destination for students and the community to learn about the issues, access voter information and registration deadlines, find out where each candidate stands, and engage in a dialogue about how to address the challenges facing America and the world.
Mason Votes is offering a robust calendar of election-related events (including pre- and post-election dialogues) and Student Media is proud to announce the formation of the 2020 Mason Votes Online Editorial Team, a diverse group of talented students selected to report on Election 2020 that will receive scholarships for their work thanks to a grant from the Parents Fund.
Students interest in getting involved and contributing content to the Mason Votes website can join the Mason Votes group on Mason360 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
By empowering Mason students with unique perspectives to speak confidently and get engaged, we hope to inspire voters of all stripes to get the facts, consider the impact this election will have on their own life, and make a plan to vote on Tuesday, November 3, 2020!
Election 2020 Quick Facts:
- Any US Citizen who turns 18 years old on or before November 3, 2020 (born on or before November 3, 2002) is eligible to vote.
- October 13th is Virginia’s deadline to register to vote and early in-person voting is already underway in Virginia.
- You can verify your registration information, register for the first time, learn about early in-person voting, or request an absentee ballot by visiting elections.virginia.gov.
- As of July 1, 2020, the Commonwealth of Virginia has implemented “no excuse” absentee voting, meaning anyone can request an absentee ballot without providing proof of need.
- Non-Virginia voters can find deadlines and information about voting in their home state by visiting usa.gov/election-office.
- Learn more about voting on campus and more: masonvotes.gmu.edu/a-quick-guide-to-voting-as-a-mason-student/
*To receive more articles like this straight to your inbox, sign up for the Mason Family Association at masonfamily.gmu.edu/mason-family-association.