George Mason University offers Aetna Student Health insurance to all undergraduate students, full-time and part-time, who take at least six credit hours, and all graduate level students taking at least three credit hours. This is a student-focused health insurance plan that protects students at school, at home, and while traveling or studying abroad. Basic health care coverage with major medical benefits is provided to an aggregate maximum of $500,000 per condition, per policy year. Domestic students are encouraged, but not required, to have health insurance while international students are required to have health insurance. For more information please click here.
Please see below for a few plan highlights and more information regarding Mason’s student health insurance plan.
- No exclusion because of a pre-existing condition. Pre-existing medical conditions are covered as any other illness
- Access to Aetna’s nationwide network of health care professionals, including primary care and specialist doctors
- $250 annual deductible
- Inpatient and outpatient charges are covered 80/20, Aetna pays for 80% of covered charges and the patient is responsible for 20% of covered charges after the deductible is met
- $500,000 coverage for prescription drugs: co-pay $15 for generics, $40 for formulary and $75 for non-formulary prescriptions
- Access to Vision, Dental, Fitness and Alternative Health Care Discount Programs.
- Travel Assistance Services and Worldwide Medical Coverage while traveling or studying abroad
- Adult Immunizations are covered at Student Health Services ONLY
- Preventative Services covered at Student Health Services and in-network providers
For a detailed plan description, including online enrollment, please click here.
Please also note that the spring 2014 Open Enrollment period ends February 15, 2014.
If your student is living on campus and is currently covered by a family members’ insurance policy, please review the details of the plan to make certain that coverage is provided when away from home.
For questions about Mason’s student health insurance plan, please call Aetna Student Health’s Customer Service at 1-800-878-1945. You may also contact Mason’s Insurance Office at (703) 993-2827 or (703) 993-7634.
Student Health Services