The fall semester can be a busy time for both new and returning students. To help in this transition, Mason offers a variety of programs and events throughout the first month of the fall semester to support the entire Mason community.
For new students, learning to navigate campus, making connections with peers, and understanding university resources can be overwhelming, but Mason strives to aid students during this pivotal time. The Preamble and Welcome2Mason are a few of the first experiences in the fall semester that will usher in the 2020-2021 year.
The Preamble, which will take place August 19-22, is Mason’s extended orientation program geared towards welcoming and acclimating new students to the Mason community. Traditionally, these events would bring new students on-campus to engage in traditions and events to welcome them to campus. This year, we have adapted much of the programming outside of the residential hall experience to be delivered virtually. Starting August 19, a Preamble course in Blackboard will be available for all new students to complete the required modules by August 22. An overview of the full schedule can be found online at welcome2mason.gmu.edu/thepreamble.
At the conclusion of The Preamble, Welcome2Mason will commence. This is a series of programs and events held during the first month of the fall semester to bring together students, faculty, and staff as we kick off the new academic year. This is a great opportunity for new students to learn about Mason traditions and create connections with their peers and campus resources. Many events will be happening virtually, in-person, or as a hybrid event. These events will include academic receptions, social events, game shows, involvement fairs, and educational development programs.
Welcome2Mason Event Highlights:
- August 21 | Virtual Q&A with Comedian Tiffany Haddish
- August 22 | Drive-in Movie (On-Campus)
- August 25 | Glance Into Greek (Virtual Event)
- August 26 | Part Time Job Fair (Virtual Event)
- August 27 | IVth Night Reimagined (On-Campus Event)
- August 29 | Mason Magic:Ran’D Shine (Hybrid Event in the CFA and Live Streamed)
- August 29 | The Source (Virtual Event)
- September 1 | Recreation and Well-Being Fair (Virtual Event)
- September 4 | Comedian Eric O’Shea (Hybrid Event in the CFA and Live Streamed)
- September 5-7 | Welcome Back GMU Esports Tournament(Virtual Event)
- September 9 | Mason360 Get Connected Fair (Virtual Event)
- September 10 | Bienvenida Latina (Virtual)
- September 11 | 9/11 Day of Service(Virtual and In-person)
- September 25 | NPHC Step Expo (Virtual Event)
A full list of events and information can be found at welcome2mason.gmu.edu. Encourage your student to attend any of this year’s events whether virtual or in-person to meet new friends, join an organization, or simply feel more connected as they embark on their college journey. Additionally, if your student will be on campus there will be “Ask Me” tents posted across campus to answer questions throughout the first week of classes to give directions and provide important information to new and returning students.
We are excited to kick-off the fall 2020 semester! #Welcome2Mason
Associate Director of New Student Programs
New Student and Family Programs
*To receive more articles like this straight to your inbox, sign up for the Mason Family Association at masonfamily.gmu.edu/mason-family-association.