Academic Support

What is Patriotweb?
Patriotweb is the self-service system that Mason students use to access their personal information, financial aid information, and student services (registration, student records, student account). Visit ‘What’s on Patriot Web’ for more information.
How does my student register for classes?
Students register for classes online using Patriotweb. Students can search for and enroll in classes using the student services tab. Each semester students are assigned a date and time when they can register for classes. Visit the Registration Guide
How does my student search for classes?
Students can find classes using Patriotweb. However, students should consider starting with the online course catalog at Your student can find descriptions of all courses offered at Mason on this site.
What will my student’s daily schedule look like?
Classes generally meet once, twice, or three times per week. For classes that meet more than once a week, they tend to follow an every other day schedule. For example, classes that meet twice a week will typically meet on Mondays and Wednesdays or Tuesdays and Thursdays. Classes that meet three times a week generally meet on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. There are of course always exceptions to this generalization.
What is a waitlist? What should my student do if he/she is placed on the waitlist for a class?
When a class is full (it has reached its enrollment capacity), there may be an option for a waitlist. Students placed on a waitlist will have the option to add the class once students already enrolled in this class decide to drop it. Students on the waitlist will not be automatically registered for the course. A waitlist override will be issued when a seat becomes available to you. Your student’s waitlist position indicates his or her progress toward receiving an override. For most waitlist information, visit: It is important to note that not all classes offer a waitlist.
How does my student know who his or her academic advisor is?
Undeclared students are advised by the Academic Advising and Transfer Center. The Academic Advising and Transfer Center also advises students who are considering changing their majors and pre-health professional students. Students with a declared major receive advising in their academic department. Each department assigns academic advisors differently. A great place to start is the Advisor Locator.
How is an academic department different from a school or college?
Academic departments are housed within colleges or schools. There are eleven different colleges/schools at George Mason: College of Education and Human Development, College of Health and Human Services, College of Humanities and Social Sciences, College of Science, College of Visual and Performing Arts, Krasnow Institute for Advanced Study, School of Conflict Analysis and Resolution, School of Law, School of Management, School of Public Policy, and Volgenau School of Engineering. If your student is a psychology major, then his or her academic department is the Psychology Department which is housed under the College of Humanities and Social Sciences.
If my student is undeclared, how does he/she know what classes to take?
For the most part, general education classes are a good place to start. These are courses that are required of all Mason students, no matter your student’s major. However, there are some academic departments that require specific courses. It is wise to consult with an advisor in the Academic Advising and Transfer Center when your student selects his or her courses.
Is my student required to declare a major once admitted to Mason?
No, students are not required to declare a major when they first enroll at Mason. Students will be considered undeclared until they officially declare a major.
How many credits should my student take as a freshman?
Full-time students must be enrolled for at least 12 credits per semester. It is recommended that first-time college students take between 12-15 credits. Once acclimated to the college schedule and workload, students may opt to take more credits in a semester.
How many credits should my student take each semester in order to graduate in four years?
Students are required to complete 120 credits in order to graduate. This equates to 15 credits per semester in order to graduate on time. During a particular semester students may choose to take fewer than 15 credits. If this is the case, your student will need to take more credits another semester or summer classes in order to graduate in four years.
How does my student declare or change his/her major?
In order to declare or change a major, your student must complete a Change/Declaration of Academic Program form. This form can be found on the Office of the University Registrar’s forms page. Once your student completes the form, he or she can turn it into the Office of the University Registrar in Student Union Building (SUB) I room 2101 or at the Academic Advising & Transfer Center in Student Union Building (SUB) I room 3500. You can find a comprehensive list of Programs of Study in the University Catalog.
What GPA does my student need to obtain in order to place on the Dean’s List?
Degree seeking students who take at least six credits in a semester and earn a semester GPA of 3.50 or higher merit placement on the Dean’s List.
What is selective withdrawal?
Undergraduate students enrolled in degree programs are eligible to withdraw from a limited number of classes without their dean’s approval and at the student’s own discretion. Students may process a maximum of three selective withdrawals during their entire undergraduate career at Mason. The Selective Withdrawal Request form can be found on the Office of the University Registrar’s forms page. A grade of “W” will be displayed on your student’s academic transcript.
What are academic warning, probation, suspension and dismissal?
An undergraduate student who earns a cumulative GPA of less than a 2.00 will be put on academic warning, probation or suspension. Your student’s attempted credit level will determine the degree of academic restriction. A student’s attempted credit level consists of credits passed, credits failed, credits withdrawn, transfer credit, AP and IB credit, and any other credit the student earned through credit by testing. A warning and probation both result in a restriction of 13 credits for the following semester. Following a first suspension, students cannot take courses for two academic periods unless it is imposed at the end of a summer term in which case the student will be unable to enroll for the fall semester, but can return for the spring semester. If a student receives a second suspension, that individual will not be allowed to take courses for one full academic year. A third suspension will result in the student being dismissed from the university.