About the Council
The Mason Parent and Family Council was established in 2013 by New Student and Family Programs (NSFP) to provide opportunities for parents and families to become actively engaged, informed members of the George Mason community by serving as ambassadors for the university and prospective and current families. The Council serves to enhance communication between the University and families of undergraduate students, heighten awareness of the need for familial input and involvement at Mason, and create an environment for families to become actively engaged in the University community.
The Mason Parent and Family Council meets two times a year to discuss issues, learn more about Mason, plan programs and events to involve parents and families in the life of the University, and contribute knowledge of the student experience to help inform practices at Mason. The Council consists of 20 parents and family members of current undergraduate students that represent a diverse spectrum of degree programs and years. Membership is comprised of a Chair who serves in a leadership capacity to the Council. The Mason Parent and Family Council is appointed by the Associate Director of Family Programs. All members must serve a minimum of one year.
Members of the Parent and Family Council support George Mason by making an annual gift to the Parents Fund which directly impacts the lives of undergraduate students and enhances their academic and co-curricular experience at the University.
- Attend fall and spring Council meetings which will be held either on campus or via web technology
- Participate in a minimum of two volunteer opportunities throughout the year
- Advise NSFP of important issues facing families at Mason
- Provide input and ideas at meeting on a regular basis
- Contribute knowledge of your student’s experience to help inform practices
- Represent the interest of all Mason families
- Support the University by making an annual gift to George Mason University at a level commensurate with one’s ability to give
- Serves as an ambassador for families of current and prospective Mason students, and work to engage other families in supporting University efforts
- Represent the Council and Mason through University-sponsored events
Benefits of joining the Mason Parent and Family Council
While Council members provide leadership and guidance in our efforts to engage parents and families, they also receive many benefits. The Council meets twice a year with university leadership to hear first-hand, timely news and information about George Mason. Council members may also attend Family Weekend and Sibs & Kids Weekend annually free of charge. Most importantly, members of the Mason Parent and Family Council will play a vital role in enhancing educational opportunities to the undergraduate student population at George Mason.
Structure of the Council
A chair(s) will be selected to serve in a leadership role within the Council for a maximum term length of two years. The chair will work in conjunction with the Associate Director of Family Programs to organize meeting agendas, identify topics of interest for the Council, as well as maintain regular communication with Council members throughout the year.
Upcoming Meeting and Event Dates
Family Weekend 2019 – November 8-10
Fall 2019 Council Meeting – November 8
Sibs & Kids Weekend 2020 – April 18-19
Spring 2020 Council Meeting – April 17
Family Weekend 2020 – November 13-15
Fall 2020 Council Meeting – November 13
For questions regarding the Mason Parent and Family Council, contact Samantha Greenberg, Associate Director of Family Programs, at (703) 993-4518 or firstname.lastname@example.org.