Student Health Services’ dedicated physicians, nurse practitioners and nurses provide accessible and affordable health care to all enrolled Mason students in a caring and confidential environment. Student Health has clinics at Fairfax, Arlington and Science and Technology campuses. A free nurse advice phone service (703-993-2831) is available when the clinics are closed.
Student Health Services’ providers offer care for a range of health needs, including infections, illness, minor injuries and burns, chronic health issues and sleep concerns. We also offer diagnostic and preventive healthcare services. There is no charge to be seen by one of our providers. There are fees for lab tests, medications, procedures, physicals and supplies.
October 1: Immunization Record Form Deadline
All new students, both freshman and transfer, must submit the immunization record form by October 1. Mail, fax, email or drop off the form at the Immunization Office. Records that are late or incomplete after the deadline are subject to an account hold and late fee. Visit our immunization webpage at shs.gmu.edu/immunizations for more information.
October 12: Flu Shot Clinics begin
Student Health Services offers flu shot clinics on each campus. As a part of Family Weekend on Friday, November 10, if you are 18 years of age or older, you will be able to get your flu shot with Student Health Services. Visit goo.gl/Vcfamv for a list of all upcoming flu clinic dates.
How Student Health Services Can Help Your Student
We encourage students to make Student Health their first stop if they have a health concern, as there is no cost to be seen by a healthcare provider. Some of our services or procedures do have fees; we explain the cost of a service to students at their visit. Learn more at shs.gmu.edu/fees.
For a non-urgent need, students can call (703) 993-2831 or stop by the clinic to make an appointment. Clinics are open in the evenings several nights a week and the Fairfax clinic is open on Saturday. The hours of operation and locations are available at shs.gmu.edu.
Students can walk-in to our clinics for acute or urgent illness or injuries. If a student is feeling unwell after hours, they can call our free nurse advice service (703-993-2831). The nurse will give advice and tell the student what they can do. More information is listed at shs.gmu.edu/about/urgentcare.
Services and Specialty Clinics
In addition to treating illness and injury, Student Health offers a variety of services including:
• ADD/ADHD Medication: When specific criteria are met, Student Health can provide follow-up appointments for the continuation of ADD/ADHD treatment. Learn more: shs.gmu.edu/services/adhd
• Allergy Clinic: If a student is currently receiving allergy shots, they may be able to continue this service at the Fairfax clinic. Learn more: shs.gmu.edu/services/allergyclinic
• Health and Wellness Counseling: Providers are happy to discuss any health concern or question. Learn more: shs.gmu.edu/services/primarycare
• Immunizations & Flu Shots
• Lab Services: Testing is done in the clinic by a medical technologist or sent to LabCorp. Learn more: shs.gmu.edu/services/laboratory
• Men’s Health Care: Our providers can address health concerns affecting men. Learn more: shs.gmu.edu/services/mens-health
• Physical Exams: Offer annual physicals and can perform many required physicals, such as for sports or nursing. Learn more: shs.gmu.edu/services/physicals
• Smoking Cessation Program: Get one-on-one help to strategize a plan to help quit tobacco. Learn more: shs.gmu.edu/services/smokingcessation
• STI Screening and HIV Testing: Sexually Transmitted Infection testing for students, including a free HIV testing option. Learn more: shs.gmu.edu/services/stiscreening
• Travel Clinic: Receive needed immunizations and health info before traveling out of the country. Learn more: shs.gmu.edu/services/travel-clinic
• Women’s Health Care: Offer pap tests, and evaluation and treatment of concerns such as urinary tract infections and menstrual irregularities. Learn more: shs.gmu.edu/services/womens-health
Patient Care Advocate & Special Projects Coordinator
Student Health Services