Finding a job on campus is an important part of the first weeks of the semester, but can also be something that brings you and your student stress. At University Career Services, we want to help make your students’ job search as simple as possible by sharing a few important resources.
If your student is interested in working on campus, one of the best and easiest things you can do to help is to refer him or her to HireMason. HireMason is our exclusive database that hosts a variety of positions, including on-campus jobs and research opportunities. By the first day of classes, your student will automatically receive a HireMason account. At that point, all your student needs to do is log in and create a profile to begin searching for on-campus employment opportunities.
Another helpful tool is the University’s human resource webpage, which lists job opportunities available on campus.
On-Campus Job Fair
Each fall, University Career Services hosts its annual On-Campus Jobs Fair. This job fair is another great way for your student to connect with employers from various departments within the University! This year’s fair will be on August 31 from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. in Dewberry Hall.
Helpful Hints and Advice
In addition to a variety of campus resources, you can also be a great help to your student by helping him or her answer questions and providing advice on how to navigate the job search. A few important topics you can share with your student include:
- Listen to your student’s career interests and try to be supportive as they may change throughout your student’s academic career.
- Talk with your student about your industry, employer and job.
- Share with your student which of their strengths, values and traits you most admire.
- Provide personal referrals for your student to have career conversations or shadow contacts in your network.
- Encourage your student to make an appointment with University Career Services early on in their time at Mason!
We hope this helps you and your student navigate the on-campus job search! If you have additional questions, you can visit our website or reach out to us by email at email@example.com or phone at 703-993-2370.
University Career Services