We are excited to welcome our students and you, their families, to Mason this August. We will welcome our first-year students to campus on Thursday, August 21 and our upper-class students back on Saturday, August 23.
The Mason community has been preparing for the past several months to welcome our students and families to campus with a stress-free move-in day experience. Since move-in is right around the corner, we want to make sure you understand the Mason move-in day procedures. All students are assigned a move-in date and time and a campus entry point. Arriving via the appropriate entrance and at your assigned time will assure you the most access to move-in help from volunteers and the greatest availability of moving bins.
Before you arrive:
- Please review our detailed move-in instructions that are available on our website. These instructions were developed to lesson wait times coming into campus and during the unloading process. Your GPS may instruct you to take a different route, but please make sure that you follow the move-in instructions so you enter campus in the correct traffic for your student’s new home away from home.
- Review the instructions for your students building and print your move-in mapbefore you leave for campus!
- Check the packing list! We encourage roommates to talk with one another about what they are bringing. Remember, there are stores near campus – you don’t have to bring everything on the first day!
Construction Updates for students living in Presidents Park:
- There will be limited unloading areas due to construction projects that impact the Shenandoah neighborhood. Please expect delays in traffic during peak move-in times on Thursday and Saturday.
- During Thursday move-in students will not be allowed to park to unload. Instead, with the help of volunteers, vehicles will be unloaded and then need to be moved immediately out of the unloading area to ensure a smooth move-in process for all. A student or family member must stay with the unloaded belongings while volunteers help take items to your room. Additionally, a student or family member must stay with the vehicle at all times.
Early move-in (upper-class students only):
- Families with an upper-class student interested in early move-in can review the information on our website and submit an application. If approved, the student will receive an email with new move-in information.
Save the Date for the Family Send-Off with President Cabrera:
- The Office of Orientation and Family Programs and Services (OFPS) will be holding the annual Family Send-Off with President Cabrera on August 21 from 7 – 8:30 p.m. in the Engineering Building Atrium. Enjoy desserts and mingle with President Cabrera as you unwind from move-in day.
Additionally, we will be partnering with OFPS to hold a move-in day webinar on Tuesday, August 12 at 7 p.m. We hope that our process will help relieve some of the stress of move-in day and will allow our families to focus on transitioning their student to Mason. Please let us know if you have any questions, and we look forward to welcoming you to campus in the coming weeks!
Associate Director, Residence Life
Housing and Residence Life