The George Mason University Mail Hub, located in the bottom level of the Hub, is a well-oiled, efficiently run machine for the 36,000 students at GMU, primarily focused on the 7,000 students living on campus. To appreciate the hardworking mailroom staff, one has to understand the mechanism behind the mailroom.
Every student living on campus has the same address format:
First Name, Last Name (name as written on their Mason ID)
4450 Rivanna River Way
Fairfax, VA 22030
Each student receives a unique four-digit mailbox number. The student will keep that same mailbox number as long as they are living on Mason campus.
Fun Fact: Mail is NOT delivered directly to the Mason Mailroom; instead, it is delivered to the Fairfax Post Office, five miles away.
Monday through Friday it is sorted at the Fairfax Post Office and brought once a day to the Mason Mailroom, where it is sorted again. There are no weekend deliveries from the Fairfax Post Office. Mark packages perishable if needed.
- Mason Students are notified via their Mason email account when they receive a package. The email includes a locker number and code to access the locker.
- It is the student’s responsibility to retrieve their package within a reasonable period of time. It not the mailroom’s responsibility to send reminder notices.
- Students are NOT notified if they have received a letter.
- Each student has a file folder designated for letters. Students need to go the mailroom’s front desk and ask if they have received letters. That means if Grandma sends little Junior a card with $20 in it, someone needs to let Junior know to check for the card.
- On move-out day in May, more than one Mason student has realized they have letters waiting for them that go back to August.
PLEASE be kind and patient with the Mailroom, especially at the start of each semester. Many students on campus will have packages mailed to them. Even with a staff of 10 employees the Mason Mailroom will be swamped dealing with excessive amounts of mail. Mail could be delayed up to two weeks at the start of each semester.
The Mail Hub staff are friendly and helpful. If you feel a package has not been delivered properly, give them a call at (703) 993-2845.
Parent and Family Council
*To receive more articles like this straight to your inbox, sign up for the Mason Family Association at masonfamily.gmu.edu/mason-family-association.