Student Health Services’ dedicated staff provide accessible and affordable health care to currently enrolled Mason students in a caring, inclusive and confidential environment. Student Health Services (SHS) continues to adjust to support the health care needs of the Mason community and will continue to implement clinic practices to help maintain the health and safety of patients and health care workers.
The doctors, nurse practitioners and nurses at SHS have experience treating students who feel sick, have rashes, sleep concerns, chronic health conditions, and more. Student Health offers diagnostic and preventive healthcare services, including lab testing. There is no charge to be seen by a provider. There are fees for lab tests, immunizations, medications, physicals and supplies.
How Student Health Services Can Help Your Student
We encourage students to make Student Health their first stop if they have a health concern, as there is no cost to be seen by a healthcare provider. Some services or procedures do have fees; the cost of a service is explained to students at their appointment. The fee list can be found at shs.gmu.edu/fees.
Students should call 703-993-2831 to make an appointment. SHS has shifted to only scheduled appointments to help keep patients and health care workers safe; patients cannot walk-in. In-person appointments are available at the Fairfax Clinic and virtual video telehealth appointments are available to students located in Virginia. Students with symptoms will speak with a nurse who will evaluate the concern and help determine the appropriate level of care needed; there are often same-day appointments available for students with acute concerns. Hours of operation are available at shs.gmu.edu.
If Student Health is closed, students can get advice from the free after-hours nurse phone service; call 703-993-2831. Visit shs.gmu.edu/locations/urgentcare for more information.
Immunization Record Form Deadline: August 1
All newly admitted or re-admitted students must submit the Mason Immunization Record Form by the deadline. Students can easily upload the form to the secure patient portal. Visit shs.gmu.edu/immunizations for more information.
SHS encourages all students to get a flu shot during the COVID pandemic because COVID and flu symptoms are very similar.
Services and Specialty Clinics
In addition to treating illness and injury, Student Health offers a variety of services including:
- ADD/ADHD Medication: When specific criteria are met, Student Health can provide follow-up appointments for the continuation of ADD/ADHD treatment. Learn more: shs.gmu.edu/services/adhd
- Allergy Clinic: If a student is currently receiving allergy shots, they may be able to continue this service at the Fairfax clinic. Learn more: shs.gmu.edu/services/allergy-clinic
- Behavioral Health: Providers evaluate, screen, and provide referrals for mental health and substance use concerns. Student Health uses a team-based approach to mental health care, which includes primary and behavioral healthcare providers. Student Health also works closely with Counseling and Psychological Services – the primary campus resource for counseling and psychiatric services. Learn more: shs.gmu.edu/services/mentalhealth
- Lab Services: Our medical technologist performs in-house tests or labs can be sent to an outside lab. Learn more: shs.gmu.edu/services/lab
- Men’s Health Care: Our providers address health concerns affecting men. Learn more: shs.gmu.edu/services/menshealth
- Physical Exams: Schedule appointments for annual physicals and for many required physicals, such as sports or nursing. Learn more: shs.gmu.edu/services/physicals
- STI Screening and HIV Testing: Sexually Transmitted Infection testing for students, including a free HIV testing option. Learn more: shs.gmu.edu/services/stiscreening
- Women’s Health Care: Evaluate and treat concerns such as urinary tract infections and menstrual irregularities, and offer pap tests. Learn more: shs.gmu.edu/services/womenshealth
Student Health Insurance Plan Option
The University has partnered with Aetna Student Health to administer the student health insurance plan and dental insurance plan. Student health insurance is available to all eligible undergraduate and graduate students who would like to enroll. Details about eligibility, open enrollment, and more available at shs.gmu.edu/insurance.
Patient Care Advocate and Special Projects Coordinator
Student Health Services
*To receive more articles like this straight to your inbox, sign up for the Mason Family Association at masonfamily.gmu.edu/mason-family-association.