Frequently Asked Questions

Are there any laws that protect me as a pregnant or parenting student?

Pregnant and parenting students have rights under the Title IX federal law related to extracurriculars, absences, medical leave, and so on. George Mason has an office dedicated to assisting students in understanding their rights.

I’m a nursing mom, where can I find lactation spaces on campus?

Each campus has at least one dedicated lactation space. Visit the Campus Resources page and click on Lactation Rooms for more information. 

Where do I meet other student parents?

George Mason has several parenting specific and parenting prevalent groups, including University Parents, Working Moms Support Group, and Mason Adult Student Union Group.

How can I find affordable childcare?

Our Community Resources page contains a list of affordable childcare providers in the area, including nonprofit centers, Virginia Head Start, Virginia Preschool Initiative, city and county programs, and a state-wide search engine. The Common Help application listed on our Financial Assistance page under Government Assistance, allows eligible families to apply for funding to assist with childcare payments.

Can I live on campus with my child(ren)?

The university does not provide family housing; only Mason students may reside in the residence halls. However, Mason does assist students in finding off-campus housing.

Where do I find scholarships available for student parents?

On our Financial Assistance page you will find a listing of scholarships either specific to or relevant to student parents.

Are there any community resources available to help my family meet our basic needs like diapers, food, and clothing?

Our Community Resources page lists various community organizations that assist families temporarily struggling financially with children’s items and basic needs.